Saturday, January 2, 2010

Seong Dong winter camp






This week was my first week of teaching camps here in Korea. I have 4 weeks of camp straight through the winter break and then about a week or so before classes start back up again. (For 2 weeks, and then we have another week off for 'spring break'... in February!!!) This first week was great! It's the only week that I'll be teaching at my main school with my kids that I teach all the time, so it was nice being able to have them in classes that were a little more fun than their everyday schoolwork. We had a few classes that actually taught language and parts of speech and such, but then the rest were just fun classes taught in English to give them an immersion style language experience. We were able to do some hip hop dancing to learn directions and parts of the body, create and draw our own inventions, make s'mores and sing a campfire song, and even play a little with some trick photography- which I think was my favorite :) I had two days of classes with my 4th graders (about 15 of them) which went far better than I'd anticipated- I was a little nervous about having them for such a long stretch at a time- and then two days with my 5th graders (about 20 of them) who were a little slower to start than I would have guessed, but got into things by the end. Because of the timing of the school years here I wasn't able to do anything with my 6th graders, they'll be moving on to middle school now... new school year starts late February/early March following the Lunar New Year. I hope they all had as much fun this week as I had teaching them... wish I could do things like that with them more often :)

No comments:

Post a Comment