Saturday, January 2, 2010

Christmas- part 2






A number of us were debating whether or not to really celebrate Christmas this year being so far away from home... just didn't seem the same without family and friends, Christmas decorations, songs playing on the radio and such. So I have to admit, I did just stay home for the weekend. And enjoyed every minute of it! We were off school Friday for Christmas day and I got to sleep in, open my Christmas presents, and watch the movie Jen gave me while snuggled up in bed :) As cold as it's been here, it's fantastic to have whole days when you don't have to get out of jammies or bed and can just be warm!!! Saturday I went out for a little while, just around Sangju, prepared for camp lessons, and was also able to talk to a lot of people back home via facebook... nice catching up & feeling a part of the holidays at home! Then on Sunday, Jessica and Julian invited everyone over for a post boxing day dinner at their apartment which was lovely. Jessica and her friend Bianca that was in town for the weekend made mulled wine, pasta, salad and a nice butternut curry soup that I think would have made Grandma Lee laugh. Turns out she had meant to defrost a few bags of butternut soup that she had made and frozen, but accidentally mixed in some chicken curry that was next to it and unlabelled... reminded me of Grandma's turkey/lemon gravy :) But it was a happy accident, I think, because the soup was very tasty and different! Then for dessert she made homemade mince pies- I think my first time ever having a mince pie- and ice cream with hot fudge... yum :) After dinner we all bundled up and walked down to our favorite coffee shop here in town where they were having a concert that evening by a local Korean folk group. A very very small coffee shop packed full of people and band equipment, but good music and a fun time. A mellow and very nice holiday weekend. :)
And then on Monday I got the best surprise of all in the mail! A book that Deb made with letters and pictures from you all back home... thank you so much! It really made my week to hear from everyone and see what you're all up to. And it's now taken up residence displayed on my table for everyone to see :)

No comments:

Post a Comment