Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Winter Camps






Three weeks of camps at English Town went by fairly quickly. A bit unorganized and frustrating at times, but the kids were adorable and more than made up for it and I had the chance to work with a number of Korean teachers from nearby elementary schools whom I had not met before. In my classes the kids learned how to make their own snow globes, how to make s'mores and sing campfire songs (when we couldn't get the ingredients for the chocolate chip cookies at the last minute,) spy games and how to write secret messages, American folk games including a really fun native American game that is very similar to the Korean folk game yut-nori, and an overview of the circulatory system. So, a scattered but interesting week. And I definitely learned a lesson on perspective... yeah, turns out that as much fun as kids have playing spies in America, it's bit more of an emotionally charged topic for some students this close to North Korea. Oops. Other teachers taught about nutrition, the five senses, photography, making puppets and putting on a puppet show, making cookies, and all kinds of other games and neat things. We were running around and all quite tired by the end, but I had a lot of fun seeing my students in a different setting and getting to meet many other students from neighboring schools. The talent shows at the end of each week were the most entertaining and I'm going to try to post some videos from them on here; sorry there's no sound on my camera. We also had the opportunity to be filmed while we were teaching and were shown for a few minutes on the Andong MBC news here. I've always heard that if you're a foreigner in Korea and stay here long enough you will end up on TV at some point, guess it was our turn now. :) We were able to watch the newscast here, but I haven't been able yet to figure out how to get hold of a copy to share. I'll post it if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment