Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas- part 1






The first weekend in December, Jessica and Julian (two of our teachers here in Sangju from South Africa) planned a big dinner for all the waegooks (foreigners) that live here in Sangju. With all of us, a couple of Korean teachers, and some visiting friends from out of town we took over one of our local restaurants en masse (about 25 of us or so- which is a lot for a small town restaurant) and had a lovely dinner together. We ate Deok-galbi, a sort of chicken stir fry with some red chili (of course), and our table had a little cheese sprinkled in, and big slices of sweet potato all cooked together in a wok built into the middle of the table. Dan, my friend Susan who was visiting for the weekend, and I were all tired from a long teaching week so we headed home after dinner, but it sounds like the rest of the group had a lot of fun during the night and even managed to find a 24 hour bar here in our sleepy little town (which I hear they fell asleep in at around 5:30am or so) :)
On Saturday, Dan, Susan, and I made a trek over to E-Mart (our local version of Target) and did some grocery shopping, then after lunch all headed back to Dan's place to bake Christmas cookies! He was able to borrow an oven from Jessica and Julian (and carry it to his apartment in a taxi! ovens here are so very different from back home!!!) It made for a nice relaxing (and fun) afternoon and a yummy treat- I made peanut butter blossoms, Susan made chocolate chip cookies and some chocolate cupcake sort of cookies from an E-Mart mix (without instructions, very impressive) and Dan made some vegan raisin nut cookies that were a little dry but tasty :) (I have now been nicknamed the cookie fairy, but I'm not too sure how I feel about that!) Our friends Tom and Bernard came over from Daejeon, Susan was there from Daegu, Lina came over from Gimcheon,and Jessica, Julian, and Kelsey all dropped by for a bit. Dan made a vegetable curry dinner and we had some wine and our cookies and a very nice time together.
I didn't take any pictures, but I'll try to add some in if I find ones that other people have posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment