Friday, October 30, 2009

Classes

I realized that I keep posting about my weekend travels, but not showing anything about my schools here. I love my classes (almost always) and have been having a lot of fun figuring out new ways to keep them interested in speaking in class. This week I was teaching them about Halloween so we made monster masks, learned about haunted houses, and watched videos of Halloween songs on youtube... I even showed my 4th graders at English Town a scary story online, not sure they really understood it though. Mostly the kids just like learning about monsters and getting to trick-or-treat at the end of class. On normal weeks I try to think of games and activities that will go along with whatever they're learning in their other English classes. So far the hits have been chain stories, making up and drawing their own superheroes, and vocabulary battleship :)
This week was strange because my classes kept being moved around for some standardized testing that the teachers had forgotten they had to do- they have a LOT of standardized testing here... I think this is my third set or so in the two months I've been here. And today a number of the schools in our town are closed because of fears of H1N1- including mine. Hopefully I'll have classes back by Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment